Here is our list of recommended bike shops in Bournemouth, together with top-end cycle cafés and cycle routes to kick start your search:
Bike Shops in Bournemouth
A selection of great specialist bike shops in the area:
- primera-sports.com – Parkstone, Poole and Winton, Bournemouth
- cycle-paths.co.uk – Poole Town Centre
- bournemouthcycleworks.co.uk – Iford, Bournemouth
- onyerbike.co.uk – Charminster, Bournemouth
- pedal-cycles.co.uk – Ferndown
Trendy Cycle Cafés
There are a couple of modern cycling emporiums in the area, both very good and worth visiting.
Read our article about local coffee shops to try in Poole for more options.
Local Bike Hire
If you don’t have a bike, there are plenty of places to hire them from. In June 2019 the newly merged council started running a bike share scheme across the area. Beryl bikes is a set of 50 dockless bikes that can be hired via a smartphone app.
These bikes only have 3 gears however and can be rather heavy. If you are looking for a bike that does a bit more than get you from A to B perhaps hire one privately from one of these options below.
- koolcyclehirebournemouth.co.uk – West Cliff Road, on the cliff above the BIC
- frontbikehire.co.uk – a blue van parked on the prominade 200m from Bournemouth pier, towards Boscombe
- onyerbike.co.uk/bike_hire_rentals – Charminster, Bournemouth
There are some super cycle routes to be found in the area. You can cycle the 7 mile promenade along Poole Bay seafront, best tackled in gentle winds. During the busy summer months of July and August it is closed to cyclists between 10am and 6pm.
Further information about this and more Poole cycle routes can be found on the council website, including the Heritage cycle route and the Castleman Trailway, which is along a disused railway line.
For the more experienced and adventurous, there are many circular routes around Poole Harbour too. For instance:
Professional cyclist Darren Kenny has also cycled around the Harbour:
That’s the end of our list, thank you for reading. Do you know of any bike shops in Bournemouth & Poole we have missed or information we could add? Feel free to get in touch and let us know.